Order Pace (rank):
Top 2% of Computers Woots
Top 9% of all Woots
Woots Sold (rank):
Top 0% of Computers Woots
Top 3% of all Woots

morninglark

quality posts: 30 Private Messages morninglark

Hi guys, Early adopter of the kindle here. My first kindle was a gen 1 purchased used because I couldn't afford a new one (before the big price drop). I skipped the kindle 2 and went straight to the this one k3 (now called kindle keyboard).

The point--a lot of the late adopters are not aware that the pre-fire kindles, such as this one, contained experimental features that ended up on the fire and were removed from the newer kindles.

The most important experimental feature is the Text-to-speech feature. That's right, this version of the kindle will read to you. It's one of those computer voices with an occassional odd pronunciation but it comes in handy. As a hack of this feature you can turn on tts then turn the sound down and have the pages turn themselves which is handy if you want to read during lunch.

In addition, these older kindles will play MP3 files so you can put your favorite music on them. Of course with limited memory you can't load it up but you can incude an audiobook or two.

The experimental browser isn't as useful as it used to be because websites are more complicated than they used to be. So don't count on it to check your email but you can still might be able to read Wikipedia on it.

TalismanUK

quality posts: 7 Private Messages TalismanUK

This was actually the very first Kindle I ever bought and believe it or not this was $189 back in the day and cutting edge for its time.

Incidentally it is still going strong and still gets used even though we have a more recent version and several Kindle Fires.

For reading in bright daylight these E-Readers can't be beaten. Try reading a Fire in sunlight!

Personally I always liked the physical keyboard better than virtual ones but that's a matter of taste I suppose.

This does have a browser but quite honestly I wouldn't even bother to try that out. It struggled back then and sites are so much more complex nowadays.

If you don't own an E-Reader then you should jump at this offer. $14.99? It's a steal!!!!

See it on Amazon

Jefiner

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Jefiner

This is still my favorite Kindle, if nothing else but the TTS function. Shame on Amazon for removing this from later devices. I just replaced the battery on this device, otherwise I'd be in for one.

Now, Amazon, bring back the DX for us low vision folks and I would be truly happy lol.

kenbuzz

quality posts: 14 Private Messages kenbuzz

I bought one of these the last time they were on offer - absolutely great little machine and an incredible bargain at $15. I was able to find one of the lighted cases that is powered by the Kindle on eBay for another $15.

When these came back, I bought two more. I'm thinking of putting sheet music PDFs on one and leaving it in my guitar case, and the second.... I have no clue yet what I'll use it for, but I'm happy to have it. And maybe I'll get lucky and hit the WiFi/3G lottery. Lol.

LAST FIVE WOOTS:
03/15/17 Kindle Keyboard 6" Wi-Fi E-Reader (x2) - $15 ea
02/19/17 HP 17.3" Intel Core i3 1TB SATA 12GB DDR3 Laptop - $290
02/19/17 Woot Screaming Monkeys (x2) $5 ea
01/24/17 Shark Rotator Professional Upright Vacuum - $30
01/05/17 PowerBlock Personal Trainer Adjustable Dumbbell Set w/Stand - $280

braygor

quality posts: 3 Private Messages braygor

I was in for one and it was delivered today. It has 3G, which was a nice surprise as that wasn't in the listing. I'm kind of late to the e-reader game as this is my first kindle, though I did have the original Nook color (which I quickly rooted and turned into an Android tablet). I just logged into my local library and am pleasantly surprised by the options for free borrowing. For 15 bucks, it will make my upcoming 11 hours in a plane a little easier to take.