11 days ago
Order Pace (rank):
Top 5% of Computers Woots
Top 12% of all Woots
Woots Sold (rank):
Top 2% of Computers Woots
Top 6% of all Woots

Quality Posts

• (12:15 PM, 3/15/2017) miniaturepeddler asks about PDF books.

morninglark

quality posts: 30 Private Messages morninglark

Hi guys, Early adopter of the kindle here. My first kindle was a gen 1 purchased used because I couldn't afford a new one (before the big price drop). I skipped the k2 and went straight to the 3rd gen (now called kindle keyboard). A couple of years ago I went ahead and upgraded to this one--and have kept it as a second kindle because it is the last e-ink kindle to have the experimental features.

The point--a lot of the late adopters are not aware that the pre-fire kindles, such as this one, contained experimental features that ended up on the fire and were removed from the newer kindles.

The most important experimental feature is the Text-to-speech feature. That's right, this version of the kindle will read to you. It's one of those computer voices with an occassional odd pronunciation but it comes in handy.

In addition, these older kindles will play MP3 files so you can put your favorite music on them. Of course with limited memory you can't load it up but you can incude an audiobook or two.

The experimental browser isn't as useful as it used to be because websites are more complicated than they used to be. So don't count on it to check your email but you can still might be able to read Wikipedia on it.

This kindle was the first one that was wifi only the earlier kindles had built-in wireless connections.

upant

quality posts: 0 Private Messages upant

i bought one of these on woot a time ago and the battery didn't hold up. do these have new batteries or are they the original and what would be the life expectancy of it? the one i purchased previously lasted just over a year.

miniaturepeddler

quality posts: 5 Private Messages miniaturepeddler

Another question on these kindles: can you only load kindle books?

ie will it read and display pdf documents (non-amazon stuff)?

morninglark

quality posts: 30 Private Messages morninglark
miniaturepeddler wrote:Another question on these kindles: can you only load kindle books?

Yep. See the specs. It will not read epubs because that is Adobe's platform. But it will read PDF, text, HTML and other.

jniccoli

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jniccoli

Check out Calibre. Free program can convert ebook formats and sort/download info/put on a kindle for you. Very useful.

miniaturepeddler wrote:Another question on these kindles: can you only load kindle books?

boxerx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages boxerx

Do any of these have built in lights? Dont see any on the specs, but thought I would check.

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 135 Private Messages radi0j0hn

Look into the free Calibre ebook library program. Last I looked, it coverted ePubs, etc. Can't say much about PDFs.

That "zillion" books on a USB stick Woot offers has them all in the mobi format as well.

sillycatvalley.com &
ACPress.com - creative stuff, y'know!