Top 0% of Computers Woots
Top 0% of all Woots

jcgasz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jcgasz

Be aware these are 2016 Models

joybus

quality posts: 8 Private Messages joybus
jcgasz wrote:Be aware these are 2016 Models

So that means they are not the current generation that can use "Show Mode", correct?

jdudley88

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jdudley88
joybus wrote:So that means they are not the current generation that can use "Show Mode", correct?

Correct. You need the 2017 version of the Fire HD 8 for that.

gtoal

quality posts: 13 Private Messages gtoal
jcgasz wrote:Be aware these are 2016 Models

does that mean it won't support the Echo Show app when it comes out as an upgrade to HD8 models? Note the careful use of the word "latest" below in "including our latest Fire 7, Fire HD 8"...

"What devices support Alexa Calling & Messaging?
Alexa Calling and Messaging is available on:
Echo devices: Echo Dot, Echo, Echo Plus, Echo Spot and Echo Show
Fire Tablets: all generation 4 and above Fire tablets, including our latest Fire 7, Fire HD 8, and Fire HD 10. Just make sure your Alexa App is up to date.
iOS (9.0 or higher) and Android (5.0 or higher) tablets and mobile phones: by using the latest version of the Alexa App."

Also, what's the difference between this offer and https://www.amazon.com/Certified-Refurbished-Tablet-Alexa-Display/dp/B01J94TEAE (apart from Woot being $10 less)

cage017

quality posts: 10 Private Messages cage017

Bought one back in January. Very happy with it. I just wish I could play Plants vs. Zombies 2 on it or else I would get rid of my 7 inch Android tablet.

bbf

quality posts: 3 Private Messages bbf
jdudley88 wrote:Correct. You need the 2017 version of the Fire HD 8 for that.

There are two versions of the Fire HD 8:
https://www.gsmarena.com/amazon_fire_hd_8-7610.php

https://www.gsmarena.com/amazon_fire_hd_8_(2017)-8806.php

The specs on the woot page for this deal match the 2017 model and not the 2015 model. Also the 2015 model came in 8 and 16GB models not 16 and 32GB.

jdudley88

bbf wrote:There are two versions of the Fire HD 8:
https://www.gsmarena.com/amazon_fire_hd_8-7610.php

https://www.gsmarena.com/amazon_fire_hd_8_(2017)-8806.php

The specs on the woot page for this deal match the 2017 model and not the 2015 model. Also the 2015 model came in 8 and 16GB models not 16 and 32GB.

There are 3 versions of the Fire HD 8 (2015, 2016, and 2017). This is the 2016 version of the Fire HD 8. For some reason GSMArena does not have the Fire HD 8 2016 (6th Generation) in its database.

Here is a wikipedia article showing the different versions: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_HD

The specs for the 2016 and 2017 versions are nearly identical except that the 2017 version is a little thicker, heavier, and lacks a gyroscope. The 2017 version also supports the show mode dock. This tablet on Woot does not.

Here is a link to the Fire HD 8 being sold here on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Tablet-Alexa-Display-Previous-Generation/dp/B01AHBAJU2/

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 1039 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Hi there! Our info is correct. It's a 2016 model as noted in the title. Specs are correct. We've sold this before with no issues.

Also 2017 didn't come in colors.

** You must log in with Amazon EVERY time **
To contact CS, use the Customer Service form in the menu at the top right corner of every page
••• ► Woot's UPDATED Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 2 hours!! - except orders with expedited items

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 135 Private Messages radi0j0hn

I cannot say too many times how much I used the various Fires I have bought from Woot.

Aside from movies and news apps, I use one of the word processors (not the office suites), a digital recorder, IPvanish for privacy and a lot more. A decent Bluetooth keyboard really makes it even better.

While certainly not a laptop replacement, I get more out of it every day than I ever did with my iPad. It is very easy and cheap to find adapters to use SD cards, etc. Not bad for the price of a few pizzas.

Can't comment on games though, as I am not a gamer.

sillycatvalley.com &
ACPress.com - creative stuff, y'know!

bsrome

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bsrome

Does the stock Fire OS play nice with Chromecast? Looking for a tablet-as-a-controller, essentially, casting to our TV's Chromecast.

Alternatively, how much of a pain would it be to flash to a stock Android OS?

clkeagle

quality posts: 2 Private Messages clkeagle
radi0j0hn wrote:I cannot say too many times how much I used the various Fires I have bought from Woot.

Aside from movies and news apps, I use one of the word processors (not the office suites), a digital recorder, IPvanish for privacy and a lot more. A decent Bluetooth keyboard really makes it even better.

While certainly not a laptop replacement, I get more out of it every day than I ever did with my iPad. It is very easy and cheap to find adapters to use SD cards, etc. Not bad for the price of a few pizzas.

Can't comment on games though, as I am not a gamer.

I agree with you completely. I've personally been an Android user since pretty much the beginning. I started with a Motorola Droid (the ORIGINAL), an Archos 5 IMT, and a Pandigital Novel with a custom firmware. Since then I've owned about thirty different devices with Android OS on it. So I wasn't sure what to make of Fire OS the first time I took it for a spin.

But you know what? It has absolutely everything I need on a tablet.

Something I've noticed is that people try to do the same things with their tablets that they do with their phones. I did this for years. Same email inboxes, same social media notifications, everything. That's not a good use of a tablet - because how many of us are ever that far from our phones anymore? Tablets are best used as pure consumption devices. Internet browsing, shopping, reading books, reading graphic novels, watching TV and movies, and playing games. And Fire tablets do that as well as any device out there.

I shifted between three different Fire tablets - a refurbished HD6 and refurbished HDX 8.9 (both from here) and a 2017 HD8 (from Prime Day last year). And I still use all three on a pretty regular basis - because they're all great devices. My HDX 8.9 is my "work" and "school" tablet, my HD 6 is a good tablet for reading novels around the house or throwing it in a cargo pocket when I'm taking my kids to activities, and my HD 8 is my general at-home media, web, graphic novels, and gaming device.

As far as Google Play and apps - it's easy to do, but the only reason I ever did it was to get access to my Google Docs and Sheets on my HDX. There is nothing else I need on the Play Store that I can't also find between the Amazon App Store and APK Pure.

And then there is Freetime. If you have kids and don't have a tablet with a Freetime account, you're insane. There isn't a better deal out there anywhere for child books or games. The Kids Edition tablets are great for the warranty, but there's nothing stopping anyone from subscribing to Freetime and handing their kids one of these tablets with a soft case.

Overall, it's pretty tough to go wrong for $30.

Wooter318165637

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Wooter318165637

Does this tablet come with Amazon's "Special Offers" nonsense? I don't want to be surprised with a load of ads that I have to pay extra to get rid of.

Edit: I'm dumb, it says it does right in the title. Ignore me

brodybanky

quality posts: 1 Private Messages brodybanky

Is it easy to upload and watch video files on these? I'm talking AVIs, MKVs, MP4s, etc.? I'm thinking of picking one up for my toddler to watch videos on long car rides.

jcgasz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jcgasz
ThunderThighs wrote:Hi there! Our info is correct. It's a 2016 model as noted in the title. Specs are correct. We've sold this before with no issues.

Here is the listing for the 2017 version of the Fire Tablet and it does come in colors.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01J94YIT6/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

blaculadave

quality posts: 24 Private Messages blaculadave

Staff

jcgasz wrote:Here is the listing for the 2017 version of the Fire Tablet and it does come in colors.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01J94YIT6/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I think what TT meant is that the 2017 comes in *different* colors. Red, Blue, Yellow vs Magenta, Tangerine, and umm...Blue-ish.

Saeedted

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Saeedted

Takeaway:

This 2016 model doesn't support the new Echo Show Mode.

Still a good price though

clkeagle

quality posts: 2 Private Messages clkeagle
brodybanky wrote:Is it easy to upload and watch video files on these? I'm talking AVIs, MKVs, MP4s, etc.? I'm thinking of picking one up for my toddler to watch videos on long car rides.

Yep. Just like any Android tablet, you can drag files directly to an internal folder or Micro-SD card via USB connection, or simply pop the SD card out and toss it into your computer's reader to copy files.

For playback, MX Player is in the Amazon App Store. As long as you have MX player plus the All-In-One codec installed, it will play any video you can throw at it. Both of my kids have Fire Tablets, MX Player, SD cards full of MP4s, and headrest holders for their tablets. 8-hour drives with no real internet connectivity? No problem whatsoever.

sunriseiz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sunriseiz
Saeedted wrote:Takeaway:

This 2016 model doesn't support the new Echo Show Mode.

Still a good price though

It sounds like this is the only "drawback" for this model. Am I understanding correctly?

I appreciate all of the helpful comments!

cnath

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cnath

This looks like a pretty good deal, I just wish I knew if Prime Day was likely beat it. I had a 7" Fire tablet that was stolen a month or so ago that I have been looking to replace with something cheap and at least 16gb.

sunriseiz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sunriseiz
cnath wrote:This looks like a pretty good deal, I just wish I knew if Prime Day was likely beat it. I had a 7" Fire tablet that was stolen a month or so ago that I have been looking to replace with something cheap and at least 16gb.

Ditto!

Saeedted

cnath wrote:This looks like a pretty good deal, I just wish I knew if Prime Day was likely beat it. I had a 7" Fire tablet that was stolen a month or so ago that I have been looking to replace with something cheap and at least 16gb.

I really doubt Amazon will discount the Fire HD 8 by 50%. Prime Day discounts on Fire, Echo, and Kindle Products are at most 35% off.

Meaning $30 is the best price your gonna get for this Fire tablet unless your holding out for Show mode.

ripprsoul

quality posts: 30 Private Messages ripprsoul

Prime Day will almost definitely beat it at some point. If it's like the past, the entire Fire and Echo lines will get day-long discounts, with occasional flash sales at even bigger discounts. My guess is the day long sale will be higher than this, but the flash sale would be lower.

Edit: I am talking about refurbed units. New HD 8 units will definitely not be discounted this low.

dcroro4life

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dcroro4life

jdudley88 wrote:There are 3 versions of the Fire HD 8 (2015, 2016, and 2017). This is the 2016 version of the Fire HD 8. For some reason GSMArena does not have the Fire HD 8 2016 (6th Generation) in its database.

Here is a wikipedia article showing the different versions: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_HD

The specs for the 2016 and 2017 versions are nearly identical except that the 2017 version is a little thicker, heavier, and lacks a gyroscope. The 2017 version also supports the show mode dock. This tablet on Woot does not.

Here is a link to the Fire HD 8 being sold here on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Tablet-Alexa-Display-Previous-Generation/dp/B01AHBAJU2/

Saeedted

dcroro4life wrote:Yup, Amazon showing $100 for this same 32 GB model (refurb), $60 on ebay (used & refurb).

At $40, this is a decent device for my commute, gym, or re-gift if I'm not pleased down the line. Can cross off "small-ish tablet" from my list. Even if it's lost, or damaged, or video quality isn't to my liking, I can recover from $40!

Splitting hairs for me since I don't use Alexa.

Amazon sells the 2017 model (at least i think its the 2017 model) for $65
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01J94TJKO?tag=dealswoot-20&th=1

robinpoett

quality posts: 0 Private Messages robinpoett
clkeagle wrote:I agree with you completely. I've personally been an Android user since pretty much the beginning. I started with a Motorola Droid (the ORIGINAL), an Archos 5 IMT, and a Pandigital Novel with a custom firmware. Since then I've owned about thirty different devices with Android OS on it. So I wasn't sure what to make of Fire OS the first time I took it for a spin.

But you know what? It has absolutely everything I need on a tablet.

Something I've noticed is that people try to do the same things with their tablets that they do with their phones. I did this for years. Same email inboxes, same social media notifications, everything. That's not a good use of a tablet - because how many of us are ever that far from our phones anymore? Tablets are best used as pure consumption devices. Internet browsing, shopping, reading books, reading graphic novels, watching TV and movies, and playing games. And Fire tablets do that as well as any device out there.

I shifted between three different Fire tablets - a refurbished HD6 and refurbished HDX 8.9 (both from here) and a 2017 HD8 (from Prime Day last year). And I still use all three on a pretty regular basis - because they're all great devices. My HDX 8.9 is my "work" and "school" tablet, my HD 6 is a good tablet for reading novels around the house or throwing it in a cargo pocket when I'm taking my kids to activities, and my HD 8 is my general at-home media, web, graphic novels, and gaming device.

As far as Google Play and apps - it's easy to do, but the only reason I ever did it was to get access to my Google Docs and Sheets on my HDX. There is nothing else I need on the Play Store that I can't also find between the Amazon App Store and APK Pure.

And then there is Freetime. If you have kids and don't have a tablet with a Freetime account, you're insane. There isn't a better deal out there anywhere for child books or games. The Kids Edition tablets are great for the warranty, but there's nothing stopping anyone from subscribing to Freetime and handing their kids one of these tablets with a soft case.

Overall, it's pretty tough to go wrong for $30.

robinpoett

quality posts: 0 Private Messages robinpoett

I bought less than a month ago, for a trip, just for music, a few books and a few movies. So easy, and amazing quality. Until..... I arrived on my trip and the first day it stops working. No internet, so no music and no books.!! Not happy!! I assumed I would get more use than a month of very little time on it. Does Woot replace? Not sure?
Do I buy another one ?
Very upsetting!

dcroro4life

Saeedted wrote:Amazon sells the 2017 model (at least i think its the 2017 model) for $65
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01J94TJKO?tag=dealswoot-20&th=1

BillFrugge

quality posts: 2 Private Messages BillFrugge
Wooter318165637 wrote:Does this tablet come with Amazon's "Special Offers" nonsense? I don't want to be surprised with a load of ads that I have to pay extra to get rid of.

Edit: I'm dumb, it says it does right in the title. Ignore me

I've never understood the dislike of special offers.

I've had it as far back as my second paperwhite, and I really don't see them as intrusive as it might sound. So far, I haven't been forced to watch an ad like I do in the 'free' apps, and they have never interrupted my reading.

I think that if I were to pay the money to remove special offers, about the only thing I would notice is that my wallet seems a bit lighter.

dcroro4life

bsrome wrote:Does the stock Fire OS play nice with Chromecast? Looking for a tablet-as-a-controller, essentially, casting to our TV's Chromecast.

Alternatively, how much of a pain would it be to flash to a stock Android OS?

Vickster1

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Vickster1

I have one of these that I bought during Amazon's Black Friday in November, 2016. I love it...its still my go to tablet because the long battery life and the size is perfect for taking out to the porch for morning coffee, etc.

I just bought a Fire 10" in April because Amazon had them for lowest price I had ever seen. It was $99.99 new, not refurbed and I just couldn't resist such a good deal! I use it but not as much as the 8" because its just not as portable as the 8".

The 10" is a 2017, so yes it has hands free Alexa and just got the software upgrade for Show Mode. I don't use Alexa on any of the tablets because I have one Echo and three dots in my house. I set all that up before they made Alexa so accessible on the tablets.

Also, its very easy to put Google Play on any of these tablets. Once you have that, you can install all the Google apps. I have my Google Photos and Youtube and GMail, just like my phone.

Anyway, I just stopped in to say this 2016 version is a fine tablet if you don't mind that the Alexa it offers isn't hands free and that it doesn't have Show Mode.

Wooter18168780

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Wooter18168780

Also bought one of these about a month ago. For $40 a 30GB tablet is a no-brainer. As somebody mentioned above, the Fire HD 8 is all about media consumption, and it's quite good at that.

Tablet did come reboxed, but did NOT have special offers. Looked completely unused. No scratches, no wear.

Another comment was incorrect about installing a different version of Android on these. The 2016 and 2017 Fire HD 8 models will BRICK if you attempt to unlock the bootloader (necessary to install a different Android version). That's with current firmware versions. Older firmware wasn't so strict, but these will almost certainly be locked down models.

You can install Google services if you want the full Play store experience, or if you just want a Web browser that will allow an ad blocker, try installing F-Droid instead. That way you can get Fennec. Simpler way to go. Except for the bootloader lock, Amazon doesn't seem to care much if you bypass them.

Wooter96508538

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Wooter96508538
ThunderThighs wrote:Hi there! Our info is correct. It's a 2016 model as noted in the title. Specs are correct. We've sold this before with no issues.

Is this generation 6 of 7? I want to order a case for it.

kenstogie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kenstogie

good deal and all but a week and a half for shipping is kinda slooooow. just saying....

jdudley88

Amazon Warehouse deals has cases for this tablet used for about $4. Hope this helps someone get an affordable case.

https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Fire-Case-Previous-Generation/dp/B01EKKVO3W/