Back to Amazon.com

WootBot

quality posts: 17 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: How soon do you think regular people will be able to purchase fully self-driving cars?
  • 0% - Within the next year 0
  • 0% - Within the next two years 0
  • 0% - Within the next five years 0
  • 0% - Within the next decade 0
  • 0% - Never ever ever ever 0
0 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

riconsd

quality posts: 0 Private Messages riconsd

The only way totally autonomous "cars" will work is if you ban human controlled vehicles.

Or create Jim Crow road laws.

netprophet1976

quality posts: 2 Private Messages netprophet1976

I try not to be an early adopter of new technology at the best of times, I for sure don't want to be one with something that can kill me.

snarkyman

quality posts: 2 Private Messages snarkyman

"QI" Episode #1.10 (2003)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0681025/quotes
During a discussion on the future of Aviation, Stephen Fry remarks that the flight crew of the future will consist of one pilot and a dog:

"The job of the pilot will be to feed the dog. The job of the dog is to bite the pilot if he tries to touch anything."

pkrzycki

quality posts: 10 Private Messages pkrzycki

So when you say regular people, you don't mean Millennials that aren't being paid a good living wage, and realistically can't afford new cars without going into massive soul crushing debt, right?

ardubu

quality posts: 10 Private Messages ardubu

Aren't cars already "self-driving"?
That's how all the pedestrians and bicyclist are being killed!
People see them, and then just let go of the wheel!

Ah, the hell with it.

originalamber

quality posts: 1 Private Messages originalamber

I thought we would already have autonomous cars. Maybe we need Heinlein's roads.

Calgaltoal

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Calgaltoal

I have never bought a new car and each has lasted on average nine years. By the time there are used, self-driving cars.......well.......just no.

photobobk

quality posts: 7 Private Messages photobobk

Assuming these cars will be programmed to obey all traffic laws and drive in a sane manner, I doubt any of the current generations will buy them.

Marcusx70

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Marcusx70

The technology is there, it is just too danged expensive for the common man. The goal of it should be that we can get it on everyday cars. When it shows up on cars like the Chevy Spark, the Nissan Versa, or a Mitsubishi Mirage, then you know it is for everyone.

intrepid01

quality posts: 4 Private Messages intrepid01

The challenge will always been accident avoidance. Dealing with the unpredictable and aberrant is hard to program well.

- Like an adjacent car hydroplaning 2 inches into your lane.
- Or a truck in front of you with near invisible pipe or rebar extending out like a spear with a red bandana.

daveinwarshington

quality posts: 100 Private Messages daveinwarshington

As long as I can set mine to drive 5mph over the speed limit, then relax in the back seat with a nice lunch & a beer... I'm all for it!

ohlfahrt

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ohlfahrt

Conversion kits must be made available to upgrade special purpose or high-value vehicles. These kits need not be cheap, simply available.