Top 7% of Computers Woots
Top 17% of all Woots

wootstalkerbot

quality posts: 16 Private Messages wootstalkerbot

[Preview 1][Preview 2][Preview 3][Preview 4][Preview 5][Preview 6][Preview 7]

Kindle Oasis 6" Wi-Fi + 3G E-Reader
Price: $149.99
Shipping Options:: $6 Standard
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 3-5 Business Days. (Tuesday, Oct 16 to Friday, Oct 19) + transit
Condition: Refurbished

Buy It Search Amazon Search Google

scott.hall

quality posts: 2 Private Messages scott.hall

Waterproof? SD card? 4GB is a non-starter any more.

This or something from Kobo, you think?

StatiK

quality posts: 2 Private Messages StatiK
scott.hall wrote:Waterproof? SD card? 4GB is a non-starter any more.

4gb will hold over 2500 average size ebooks. (Amazon says over 3500 books)
And you can delete books at anytime and redownload from the cloud. Seems like plenty of room to me. My kindle has maybe 3-6 books on it at a time. (Kindle Paperwhite)

emess1013

quality posts: 0 Private Messages emess1013

Is this the non-glare screen model?

therealjrn

quality posts: 84 Private Messages therealjrn

Ironically pictured here with a screen you'll never see, what with the ads-enabled. Additional $15 to $20 to get the ads to go away.

therealjrn

quality posts: 84 Private Messages therealjrn
emess1013 wrote:Is this the non-glare screen model?

Your question is somewhat nonsensical. The Kindle family E-ink screens aren't like a tablet screen, so there is not much glare.

Your best bet is to find a friend with a Kindle to look at under different lighting conditions.

The Oasis line of Kindles are pretty pricey though. You can do better on price with a regular Paperwhite and just put it in a Glad baggie, like Jeff Bezos does, as reported in a recent article, to get the water resistant feature..

conedmiro

quality posts: 0 Private Messages conedmiro

This one is model: sw56rw which is the one without waterproofing!

tseabrooks

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tseabrooks
conedmiro wrote:Is this the second gen with Waterproofing?

Model is listed under specs as:

"Kindle Oasis (2016)"

This means it is not waterproof. Also, it means the cases available from Amazon offer additional battery capacity. In the second gen Oasis (Late 2017) the cover no longer provides additional battery power and the battery capacity has been increased by making the device larger. The second generation Oasis also has a larger display.

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 135 Private Messages radi0j0hn
scott.hall wrote:Waterproof? SD card? 4GB is a non-starter any more.

You are thinking this is a Fire tablet, not a Kindle. No angry birds here, just letters and words that you read. It's a new concept!

sillycatvalley.com &
ACPress.com - creative stuff, y'know!

tmacfarlan

quality posts: 14 Private Messages tmacfarlan

I've gotten a few kindles from woot, as gifts and an upgrade for myself. All listings have said they include ads, not one kindle I've gotten has had ads enabled.

These are refurbs, and Amazon has no way to know if ads were disabled on the device or not when they repackage it (ads are disabled per device, not per account). They will always list it as including ads so if they lie, you get the better deal.

So you'll be rolling the dice here whether you get ads or not. Generally if somebody cared enough about their high end kindle to return it under warranty, they disabled ads. YMMV.

scott.hall

StatiK wrote:4gb will hold over 2500 average size ebooks. (Amazon says over 3500 books)
And you can delete books at anytime and redownload from the cloud. Seems like plenty of room to me. My kindle has maybe 3-6 books on it at a time. (Kindle Paperwhite)

The pictures in cookbooks tend to chew up the memory space. I think I'm at something like 50GB of books on my existing tablet. I've got a 256 GB SD card in it, so that's not an issue.

oppyland

quality posts: 7 Private Messages oppyland

I bought a refurb Voyage a few years ago, and it works great. The ads are only on the lock screen and I hardly even notice them - save the twenty bucks for another Woot!

scott.hall

radi0j0hn wrote:You are thinking this is a Fire tablet, not a Kindle. No angry birds here, just letters and words that you read. It's a new concept!

No...I'm thinking it's a premium eReader. The Kobo Aura One is waterproof and has an SD card slot. I'm wondering if this version of the Kindle Oasis (which is supposed to compete with the Aura One) has similar specifications.

SolarRay

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SolarRay

This is still the best reader out there. I had mine stolen from my carry-on by domestic security staff in Ecuador. When I got home I had the opportunity to upgrade to the larger waterproof version and declined. These have a wonderful leather case that feels so good and is just the right size for a pants pocket. The newer waterproof one is just a little too big for that same pants or coat pocket. I picked up an extra charging case on eBay and now can go a total of 10 intensive-use days without charging. Of course the screen is absolutely amazing and if you’ve ever tried reading kindle books on an iPad you can’t imagine how good it is to use a high-end dedicated Kindle device.

mjay419

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mjay419

does anyone know long how the onboard battery *actually* lasts typically on a charge? No wifi and med. backlight. tryin' to see if this is a good upgrade from my REB1100.

jerseydrew

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jerseydrew
tmacfarlan wrote:I've gotten a few kindles from woot, as gifts and an upgrade for myself. All listings have said they include ads, not one kindle I've gotten has had ads enabled.

These are refurbs, and Amazon has no way to know if ads were disabled on the device or not when they repackage it (ads are disabled per device, not per account). They will always list it as including ads so if they lie, you get the better deal.

So you'll be rolling the dice here whether you get ads or not. Generally if somebody cared enough about their high end kindle to return it under warranty, they disabled ads. YMMV.

Lucky you, mine has ads :-( but for the price you can't beat it. I think it costs more to turn off the ads than I paid for it.

zebradude

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zebradude

be careful!!! this model does not come with the needed battery cover!!!!!!!!!

bakersfieldjim

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bakersfieldjim
radi0j0hn wrote:You are thinking this is a Fire tablet, not a Kindle. No angry birds here, just letters and words that you read. It's a new concept!

BWAHAHAHAHAHA

mjay419

I can't find charging covers for this sold anywhere online...nevermind. $89 on amazon

renais

quality posts: 2 Private Messages renais

How about reading library books on it? That's done with an app. I'm thinking maybe you can't download the app or the books, but maybe I'm wrong. Anyone know?

kayakgirl418

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kayakgirl418
renais wrote:How about reading library books on it? That's done with an app. I'm thinking maybe you can't download the app or the books, but maybe I'm wrong. Anyone know?

I use the Libby app on my phone, and through that you can send the book to your Kindle. so much easier than using the computer program and sideloading books.

kayakgirl418

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kayakgirl418

I've had this and the new Kindle Oasis 7" model after a tragic swimming accident with my non water resistant version. With the charging cover on the 6" model it had about the same battery life as the 7" model, but I loved the portable size of the 6". As mentioned before, it is perfectly pocket sized. I don't know that I would buy it without the charging cover though, but that's just me.

alleigh25

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alleigh25
renais wrote:How about reading library books on it? That's done with an app. I'm thinking maybe you can't download the app or the books, but maybe I'm wrong. Anyone know?

You can't use the app directly on the Kindle, but you can send any books you've borrowed to it. There are two ways you can do it.

The easy way: When you borrow the book on the app or website, it'll take you to Amazon to get the Kindle version, where there'll be an option to pick which device to send it to. Just pick the Kindle and you should be good. For me, it still shows up on my phone when I do this, so if you plan to use both, you don't have to worry about that. You should also be able to set it as the default so you don't have to do this every time.

The harder way, if you forget to switch devices or want to send it to multiple: After you've already sent the book to a device, you can go to Manage Devices and Content and send whatever books you want to whichever devices you want.

Assuming you're using either Overdrive or Libby, you can shortcut your way to that page by clicking Send to Kindle again. This will take you to the Amazon page, which will say the book has already been redeemed and will have a link to Manage Devices.

If the Kindle is connected to the internet, you can just hit Sync and your library book(s) should show up within a minute or so. I typically keep mine on airplane mode unless I'm syncing it, so I'm not sure how often it syncs on its own if it's already connected, but I'd assume it would at some point.

renais

kayakgirl418 wrote:I use the Libby app on my phone, and through that you can send the book to your Kindle. so much easier than using the computer program and sideloading books.

Thanks. I don't sideload now.

Wooter944353579

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Wooter944353579
zebradude wrote:be careful!!! this model does not come with the needed battery cover!!!!!!!!!

Woah! Good catch! I bought this from woot about a month ago for the same price and it did come with the charging cover! What the heck woot?

renais

[quote postid="7458179" user="alleigh25"]You can't use the app directly on the Kindle, but you can send any books you've borrowed to it. There are two ways you can do it.

Great reply, thanks. Had forgotten the Kindle option exists! (Epubs are what I read on my tablet now.) That's an easy fix.

Wooter71798577

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Wooter71798577
Wooter944353579 wrote:Woah! Good catch! I bought this from woot about a month ago for the same price and it did come with the charging cover! What the heck woot?

Confirm! And it was $ 150. https://computers.woot.com/offers/kindle-oasis-6-4gb-e-reader-with-cover-9?ref=w_cnt_lnd_cat_pc_6_8. But there was not 3G.

kitcasper

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kitcasper
mjay419 wrote:I can't find charging covers for this sold anywhere online...nevermind. $89 on amazon

Can you provide the link for this. I can’t find it on Amazon.

kitcasper

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kitcasper

This is my all time favorite Kindle. Perfect size and I’ve got my “page turning” buttons back. It will also play my “Audible” books when using Bluetooth earphones or speakers.

oppyland

quality posts: 7 Private Messages oppyland

You can also use Calibre to manage your library (and other) books. From there, you can sideload or just send via your Kindle email address [username]@kindle.com. Works great!

mjay419

kitcasper wrote:Can you provide the link for this. I can’t find it on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Kindle-Premium-Leather-Battery/dp/B01637XE4W/ref=sr_1_1?s=amazon-devices&ie=UTF8&qid=1539306841&sr=1-1&keywords=oasis+Battery+Cover